torrilin ([personal profile] torrilin) wrote2012-12-19 10:36 am

direction

As in I was meditating on the idea of direction and composition this morning. Not that it did anything directly in the pictures I produced. Today's themes appear to be hue (mostly in the vein of PLEASE GOD GIVE ME SOME), contrast, and perspective/field of view. I have one picture I sort of like, and a lot of unsuccessful stuff where I went best two falls out of three with equipment. End result, I'm still not sure how to get jpeg color settings that really make me happy.

The idea I came up with for direction first was a panorama. That's a pretty concrete way of looking in all directions at once. Even small panos tho aren't something that particularly thrills me to design and execute. And "all directions at once" isn't really talking about direction anyway. Direction is super important to the idea, but it's not about direction really. Since I have such a strong negative reaction to the idea, it might be good to try and execute the panos where I can sort of see that there might be an idea there. I don't know that I'd get any direction thoughts out of it, but I'll probably learn something. I'm also realizing that I just plain don't like most panoramas that I've seen. I tend to pretty cordially loathe them. So now I'm wondering if there are any non-photographic works that are considered panoramas, or if there are artistic styles that use the form a lot.

Bill suggested that line or flow might be a better way to approach the idea of direction. I have some ideas in that vein, and some of what I wrestled with today was working on that approach. Sadly, working on is not the same as actually working with. Sort of lost track of the interesting bit in the flurry of technology, so the pictures got muddier and muddier as I kept struggling. I *think* I can kinda see how to fix the idea or engage with a similar one and get less of a mess.